The following Australian sponsored visas are ideal to those who are not seeking merely short-term employment in Australia, but are interested in beginning a new life here.

Based on our experience, this visa type is available for those who are already living and working in Australia, because this type of visa is connected to an employer sponsorship, which may be obtained from abroad, but the chances of this are quite low.

The first and most important issue is that this visa may only be ensured through an employer which has obtained the necessary permits from the Department of Immigration and Citizenship, and you and the employer (?) both must prove that you are qualified for the position.

The sponsored employee residence visa has two main distinct subtypes:

The first one is the so called Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS). Basic requirements for obtaining an ENS are as follows:

  • The employee must prove a qualification which is acknowledged in Australia and at least 3 years of work experience
  • The employee must have passed the IELTS exam with 6.0 result or better
  • The sponsored position must be registered on the list of professions issued by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship

The second option is the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS).

This visa type is easier to obtain since the requirements are less stringent than those of the ENS above, but this type of visa does not allow you to work in certain areas of Australia, for instance in Sydney, New Castle, Wollongong, additionally certain parts of Central and South Coast, Brisbane and Gold Coast, Melbourne. On the other hand, lively cities like Adelaide or Cairns are still available with this visa.

RSMS’ requirements are the following:

  • the employer is required to have professional qualification and/or work experience for the position they are sponsored, and for skilled labourers, also a valid accreditation
  • the employee must certify their command of the English language with an IELTS exam result of at least 6.0

The employee is not allowed to leave the employer for 2 years.