The Australian Work and Holiday visa is a good option for young people, who wish to work, travel and/or study in Australia. This visa is available to certain counties only, including Hungary. You can check the list of eligible countries on the website of the Australian Department of Home Affairs.

The main virtue of this visa is that it gives permission for full time employment, which makes it appealing for young adults. The employees must pay attention to an important detail, that they can only work for one employer for a maximum of 6 months (assisting bushfire recovery efforts can work for up to 12 months with the same employer or organisation). The reason for this is to give the visa holders the opportunity to gain as much international work experience as possible. The second advantage of this visa is, that its owner is entitled to study in Australia for up to 4 months. So in case the applicant wants to improve their language skills or study a new profession during a short course, they can do it without having to apply for a Student visa. This visa can be extended twice since July 2019, without having to leave Australia. The condition for the extension is that the applicant has to work in a regional area for at least three months for the first extension, and at least six months for the second extension in one of the following fields: tourism, hospitality, agriculture, forestry or fishing or bushfire recovery work in bushfire affected areas.

Basic requirements for the Work and Holiday visa:

  • the applicant has to be between 18 and 31 years of age
  • needs to have a valid passport
  • needs to have proper English language skills (IELTS 4.5, OET, TOEFL iBT, PTE Academic, CAE)
  • has to have higher education (higher-level vocational training, degree, or at least two years successfully finished in higher education)
  • cannot bring a dependent child with them (no family member can join to this visa)
  • needs to be outside of Australia during the application
  • has not applied for a Working Holiday visa (Subclass 417) before
  • has an adequate financial background (at least 5000 AUD) plus a ticket to leave the country after the year (or additional money to cover its expenses, ~2000 AUD)
  • fits the Australian medical and ethical requirements
  • has obtained a document of support from the government of a country, which is eligible for the Australian Work and Holiday visa and the applicant has a valid passport issued by its government

The visa fee is 635 AUD/applicant.

The administration fee at CSE Australia is 39900 HUF.

If you have further questions about the Work and Holiday visa, contact our offices in Budapest or in Sydney, or visit our FAQ page.